Pages

SIMPLE OBSERVATIONS

Welcome to my updated site. I hope you enjoy my gentle brand of humor. If you made it here, please come back for more of my simple observations of everyday life.



Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Get Out of My Wayyy..... (#3)

A-1



     I've wondered about something. How can we celebrate Thanksgiving with family and friends, feel the incredible warmth and love of those around us, hold hands, pray, pull things we are thankful for from the very bottom of our souls, and then mere hours later..... Ruthlessly run down any living creature that gets in our way, as we desperately search for sale-priced big screen TV's? I don't even know why they call the start of the official Christmas shopping season, Black Friday. A better name would be,

“Wow, I can’t believe people stuffed with turkey could run so fast, Friday.”



     A friend once told me that Black Friday was just another great American tradition. Just because it's a tradition, doesn't always make it good. Didn't we once have the tradition of accusing women of being witches, and then burning them at the stake? Don't get me wrong; I love good old American traditions. No one likes tailgate parties, watching super bowl commercials, and seeing if that groundhog named Phil will see his shadow, and predict whether we get six more weeks of winter, more than me.

     I even enjoy the tradition of dressing up in hideous and often disturbing costumes, prowling darkened neighborhoods, approaching the houses of complete strangers, and demanding massive quantities of candy, with the threat of dire consequences, if chocolate is not provided. It seems to me though, that making a tradition of seeing how many boot prints you can leave on the backs of fellow human beings in your quest for cheap foreign-made products, might be a little much.

     I read somewhere that the three most dangerous places to be on earth include: an ISIS holding cell in Syria, on the streets of Pamplona, Spain during the annual running of the bulls, and in the Wal-Mart electronics department two minutes after the doors open on Thanksgiving night.

     I have a question that’s been bothering me. Is a new, low-priced laptop computer or a magnificent, discounted, fifty-two inch big-screen TV, really worth running over Salvation Army bell ringers, nuns, ninety-year old women with walkers, people in wheelchairs, and the nice young ladies of Girl Scout troop #236?

     Maybe it’s just me, and I could be wrong, but I think that racing to your car with the latest in Chinese-made electronics at bargain basement prices in a cart, while having a green sash with merit badges on it, clinging to your shoe, might just lead to losing your soul to eternal damnation.


No comments:

Post a Comment